HISTORY OF OCAOkeechobee Christian Academy began as Grace Christian Schools, a ministry of the Grace Brethren Church of Okeechobee, Florida, in August of 1976. The student body totaled eighteen, with three grades and two teachers. In 2007 the Grace Brethren Church recognized the need to expand the scope of this ministry by offering a top-quality, holistic Christian education for the Greater Okeechobee area. In order to accomplish this transformation the Grace Brethren invited other churches to partner with them in this new venture. The school’s name was changed to Okeechobee Christian Academy to reflect this new community-wide character and inter-denominational composition. We now have programs from Pre-K 3 to 12th grade and students participating in dual enrollment at Indian River State College. We have twenty teachers on staff, with our middle school and high school students switching classes throughout the day. We offer Art, Music, Spanish, Drama, and Agriculture along with our standard ABeka curriculum.
PURPOSE AND MISSIONOkeechobee Christian Academy exists to support parents and the church in the common goal of “raising up a child in the way he/she should go.” Our mission is to equip the minds and nurture the hearts of these young people, preparing them to be Christian leaders who love Christ with their whole heart, soul, mind and strength and who seek to be a transforming influence in their world.
STATEMENT OF FAITH
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, infallible, authoritative, unerring Word of God (II Timothy 3:15, II Peter 1:21).
- We believe there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Genesis 1:1, Matthew 28:19, John 10:30).
- We believe in the deity of Christ (John 10:33); His virgin birth (Isaiah 7:14, Matthew 1:23, Luke 1:35); His sinless life (Hebrews 4:15, Hebrews 7:26); His miracles (John 2:11); His vicarious and atoning death (I Corinthians 15:3, Ephesians 1:7, Hebrews 2:9); His resurrection (John 11:25, I Corinthians 15:4); His ascension to the right hand of the Father (Mark 16:19); and His personal return in power and glory (Acts 1:11, Revelation 19:11).
- We believe in the absolute necessity of regeneration by the Holy Spirit for salvation because of the exceeding sinfulness of human nature, that men are justified on the single ground of faith in the shed blood of Christ, and that only by God’s grace and through faith alone we are saved (John 3:16-19, John 5:24, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8-9, Ephesians 2:8-10, Titus 3:5).
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost. They that are saved unto the resurrection of life, and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation (John 5:28-29).
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 8:9, I Corinthians 12:12-13, Galatians 3:26-28).
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life (Romans 8:13-14, I Corinthians 3:16, I Corinthians 6:19-20, Ephesians 4:30, 5:18).